Download Files Size:
Explore how to value one of the most versatile fixed income securities, inside out. Apply rock solid finance fundamentals to value Straight / Vanilla Bonds, Consols, and Zero-Coupon (“Deep Discount”) Bonds as well as their Yields, from scratch. Do this manually, and on Excel® and Google Sheets.
With no prior knowledge required, and a curriculum that’s designed for distinction, this course will take you from zero to PRO in one of the most important aspects of modern day Finance. And build your finance fundamentals up from scratch, to hold you in good stead forever.
6 SECTIONS TO MASTERY.
Use our structured learning path, or dive right in to a specific concept you’re struggling with.
Introduction to Bonds
- Get the basic finance fundamentals right, first time – so you learn once and retain it forever.
- Explore what bonds are, including their types and characteristics.
- Discover the “trading status” of bonds and see how ratings work.
- Gain a solid command over the core finance fundamentals that drive the entire bond valuation process.
- Understand the powerful logic and intuition behind discounting future cashflows.
- Witness the power of compounding cashflows, including why we use (1+r) and not just r.
Valuing Bonds (Simple Cases)
- Value a Zero-Coupon Bond from scratch.
- Estimate the price of a Straight / Vanilla bond.
- Value a Consol (aka ‘Perpetual Bond), and see why the formula works.
Valuing Bonds (Advanced)
- Value bonds with semi-annual and quarterly coupons.
- Explore the impact of compounding on bond prices.
- See first hand how a change in the yield impacts the value of a bond.
Yield To Maturity Fundamentals
- Explore the pre-requisites for estimating the yield.
- Learn what the Net Present Value (NPV) is.
- Understand the Internal Rate of Return (IRR) and see how it relates to the yield.
Estimating Yield To Maturity (YTM)
- Calculate the YTM of a Zero-Coupon Bond from scratch.
- Estimate the YTM of a Consol (aka ‘Perpetual Bond’).
- Apply your knowledge of NPV and IRR to estimate the yield of a vanilla bond, manually and on Excel.
DESIGNED FOR DISTINCTION
Discover the intuition behind the bond valuation process and gain a solid foundation in Finance Fundamentals thanks to:
A Solid Foundation
You’ll gain a solid foundation of the core fundamentals that drive the entire bond valuation process.
Every major concept is taught with example question walkthroughs, so you can literally see how we value bonds from scratch.
Loads of Helpful Practice Activities
Apply what you learn immediately with 135 practice questions, all with impeccably detailed solutions.
One Page Cheat Sheets & Resources
Mathematical proofs, one page cheat sheets, workable Excel® & Google Sheets spreadsheets – all included.
Say goodbye to endless memorising.
Engage with carefully thought out, clutter-free, and engaging study materials that focus on the 20% finance fundamentals that drive 80% of the results.
Easily follow through complex concepts with great visuals that don’t overdo it.
Explore why bonds are valued the way they are, instead of memorising formulas without understanding them.
There really always is a reason for everything.
Feel your confidence rise.
Apply what you learn immediately in example question walkthroughs and progressively challenging quizzes with impeccably detailed solutions.
Engage with over 100 questions ranging from simple true and false ones to more complex problems that take you outside your comfort zone.
Questions are relevant for Ivy League / Russell Group University students as well as professionals studying for the ICAEW CFAB, ACA, ACCA, and CFA qualifications.
All questions designed in-house, by Professional Tutors with Russell Group Distinctions.
See how & why the equations work.
Learn why we divide some variables by something, and multiply other variables by something else. Get past the painful approach of memorising countless equations.
Not only will we rip apart each equation one variable at a time, we’ll also give you mathematical proofs that show the equation’s logic one step at a time.
Save yourself time and effort by understanding why the equation works the way it does. Then go out and create your own equations thanks to your new rock solid finance fundamentals.
Here’s what you get. And this is exactly why this is the only course you’ll ever need to take to master Bond Valuation:
- Over 3.5 hours of on-demand video content, with each concept broken down part by part, variable by variable, one equation at a time. Starting from the very basics, and building you to a point where you can handle more complex problems.
- Student-centric, easy-to-read learning materials that will change the way you look at lecture notes. Seriously.
- Quizzes and assignments that challenge you, progressively. With the most detailed solutions you’ve ever seen.
- An easy to apply ‘Discount Factor Table’, with a built-in how to guide.
- Mathematical proofs for the mathematically curious!
- An instructor who’s insanely passionate about Finance and Finance Fundamentals, and obsessed with helping you win.
As you can tell, we’re new to Udemy. But we’ve been helping students and professionals master Finance and Accounting across Europe for a while now. Here’s what our 1:1 Tuition Clients say about us.
We’re proud of our students, and inspired by these stories – we decided to share them (unedited) with you…
“I have had a great experience with Fervent tutor as I was taught more of the content and less memorizing. I think their timings and their work is professional as the tutor seeks the most efficient and productive way to help the student. I studied accounting with the tutor and it contributed greatly to my knowledge for the exam.”
– Abdulaziz, BA (Hons), International Management
“Fervent goes above and beyond the call of duty. First, they help you get the basics right and then assist you until you get a firm grip of your module. Fervent provides an extremely professional and patient environment. Doesn’t matter how many questions you have or silly you think they are, they encourage all of it. I never would have passed my module rather score a merit in it if it wouldn’t have been for Fervent.”
– Shambhavi, MSc, Accounting and Finance
Fervent provides an exceptional service, the whole process from start to finish was very hands on and supportive – during my final year I needed tuition for a governance paper, essentially I was hoping they would do all the work for me but in the long run I got so much more than I bargained for ….they changed my entire thought process and maintained a complete professional reserve. Working with me every step of the way, I was encouraged to think critically in achieving my objective and inspired to dig deep. As a result I produced a 2000 word essay (which I had them proof read as well) worthy of a distinction. Thank you for all the help and most importantly thank you for believing in me.
– Sean, MSc, Accounting and Finance
Throughout the period of doing my Master’s dissertation, I felt agonised from not only researching my specific topic but also writing clearly with no any grammatical errors. Fortunately, I found Fervent which offers efficient and comprehensive services. At first, I just expected my dissertation to be improved in terms of grammar; however, Fervent provided me much more than that. All essential aspects such as formatting, structure, logic, consistency of analysis and critique, strength of arguments are also checked and corrected. One thing that I’ve been very grateful is related to my topic details. In addition to pointing out some big mistakes and recommending more accurate and professional alternative solutions, Fervent gave me many more interesting and valuable ideas which helped to develop my content to have stronger arguments and more critical analysis. My tutor’s suggestions helped me become more analytical in my thought process and in producing a better research paper; my critical thinking skills also saw a considerable improvement. Without Fervent’ support, I don’t believe I could have been awarded an excellent grade for this dissertation. Thank you so much for invaluable help over my hard time.
– Duang MSc, Financial Analysis and Fund Management
Undoubtedly the gains that I have acquired from the studying with Fervent are plentiful and significantly make me different from what I used to be in terms of my expanded knowledge base, improved English skills (e.g. English-writing), as well as being more confident communicating with English speakers and with the improved ability to think differently and critically for dealing with various types of course works in my study in the university more readily.
My tutor is specialized not only in the teaching of Accounting and Finance but also very familiar with the relevant knowledge in the subjects such as Marketing and Management. This is why I trust this person at an initial point along with his kind, friendly and very patient characteristics (e.g. I’m always encouraged by my tutor during the session with him, often to hear: if you really want it and then you can do it and will make it with no doubts).
“Skilled worker ushers in the gate, leads a pious life depending on individual.” This is a Chinese old saying which I can still remember vividly because it was what my tutor had told me in my with him and made me believe an excellent learning outcome and a constructive learning process requires the hardworking from both of us. The record shows we did it. This is another reason I like Fervent as in the session with my tutor you see his hardworking as for the preparation for each session and in making the sessions distinctive from cliché-ridden teaching-and-listening classes by exploring the best way and the most suitable set of teaching methods to provide the student with the best value for money.
Jiajian BA (Hons), Business and Management
Who this course is for:
- University / College students
- ACA, ACCA, CFA, other Professional Students
- Finance Managers, especially those from a Non-Finance Background
- Analysts, aspiring Investment Bankers
- Anyone who wants to learn how to value bonds!